This is the 20th century, and with various technological development I am sure, most of you must be using a computer for their personal and professional needs. I spend 10-15 hours, in front of a computer. Like me, you might have experienced certain performance issues with your PC. Sometimes, it’s in hung state and sometimes it’s slow. These are the performance issues that most might have faced. It might have occurred for most of you about how to fix performance issues in windows. There are many reasons, it might have occurred. These performance issues might be the result of certain activities inside your computer like high CPU, high memory, etc.
There are plenty of ways to fix performance issues in windows. Resolving the performance issue involves the use of tools and utilities in windows. These tools and utilities work in a way to manage the system’s performance. With the right technique and utility, we can improve the performance of the computer.
The first thing which we do in such cases is open Task Manager by any of the below mentioned ways:
- Press ctrl + shift + delete > Task Manager.
- Press the Windows button and search for Windows System >Task Manager.
- Go-to Run Command by pressing Windows Key + R and type ‘
taskmgr‘, and then press OK.
- Press ctrl + shift + ESC.
- Inside the task manager, you will find the processes tab.
You will find the windows similar to the below mentioned image.
In the task manager, you need to look at the CPU column which will give you the percent amount of utilization the computer is experiencing. In the Name column, you will find the name of the processes currently running in the background and the CPU column shows the amount of CPU consumption by each process.
How to fix Performance issues using Superfetch
Many users might have noticed a service named Service Host: Superfetch causing their Disk Usage at 100% in the task manager. Superfetch is the Windows Service which is responsible for making the applications launch faster by pre-loading programs that are frequently used in the RAM. If this service is causing the High Disk Usage it is suggested to disable it.
Fix: 1: via Administrative Tools
- Go to Services.msc using any of the below-given methods.
- Press Windows Key > Click Windows Administrative Tools > Services
- Windows + R key, type services.
mscand click OK.
- Services window will pop-up similar to the below image.
- Find and Double click on Superfetch in the Name section from the right pane.
- Superfetch Properties window will pop up.
- Go To General and change the Startup Type to Disabled, Click Stop on Service Status, and Press OK.
- Now Superfetch is disabled.
Fix 2: via Command Prompt
- Press Windows Key and
- Right-click on Command
Prompt andclick on Run as administrator.
- Type the following command.’net.exe stop
superfetch. Press enter
- Type sc config sysmain=disable and press enter.
Now the superfetch service is disabled.
Another way to fix performance issues in windows is via changing Background Apps settings. Whenever any application is running on your computer it consumes the PC Ram, even if the applications are running in the background. For better performance of the PC, it is recommended to disable the background apps. If there is any action needed for any apps, it can be done manually by opening the app. To disable background apps, follow the below-mentioned steps:
Go to All Settings > Privacy > App Permissions > Background Apps > Turn it off.
It manages permissions for apps from Microsoft Store. It uses only a few megabytes of the memory but there are cases where it spikes. If the usage is more than 15% then there can be an issue with an app on the computer. Usually, it will be below 15%, but in case if memory stays above this, the process can be killed by selecting the process on task manager and selecting End Task and restart the computer.
It is not recommended to disable it because it’s vital for protecting
Method1: Disable get tips and tricks.
- Go to All Settings > System
- Select Notification and actions
- Uncheck the options ‘ Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use windows’.
Method2: Disable Background Apps just like mentioned above in the Background Apps section.
Method3: Disable Runtime Broker by registry editor.
- Got to run and type ‘
regedit‘ and press ok to open the registryeditor.
- Find the location ‘HKEY_Local_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services’
- Find and select TimeBrokerSvc and Double-Click on Start.
- Edit DWORD value will pop-up, change value data from 3 to 4.
- Restart the computer.
System Setting Adjustment
If the computer is running slow, adjusting system settings might help in fixing the performance.
- Go to Windows search
- Type View Advanced System Settings and press enter.
- System Properties will pop-up. Go to Advanced.
- Under the Performance click on Settings.
- From the Performance, Options window select Adjust for best performance and click Ok.
- Click Apply.
This should resolve the issue, if not, try other steps shared in this post.
Hard Drive Optimization
In case your computer is running slow and sometimes in hung state, then optimizing the hard disk may resolve the issue.
- In the search box type Defragment and Optimize Drives and press Enter.
- Select the Disk you want to Optimize.
- Click Analyze.
- Once it is completed then click on Optimize.
- Click Close.
This will reduce the Disk and CPU Usage.
Updating system drivers is a healthy process to keep up the Operating System’s performance. If the drivers are outdated, that could be one reason for your system running slow. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update the drivers of your system:
- Go To Control Panel. The Control panel can be opened in a number of ways.
- Type Control Panel in the windows search and click Control Panel.
- Goto Run and type Control and click Ok.
- Open Device Manager.
- Select and Right-click on the device you want to update.
- Click on properties.
- Go to Driver and click Update Driver and click Ok.
When the computer is started, many applications that get started in the background. Some of those applications are not be required at the time of start-up. Disabling such applications from start-ups will result in better system performance. Follow the below-mentioned steps to disable programs from Start-Up.
- Open Task Manager
- Go To Start-up
- Select the name of the application.
- Change the status to Disable.